Kathy MacMillan is an American Sign Language interpreter, signing storyteller, librarian, workshop presenter, and author of storytime resource books. She writes YA fantasy that combines her geektastic love of linguistic history with her enjoyment of swoony romance. She lives with her husband and son in Owings Mills, MD.
Her debut novel, SWORD AND VERSE, is a Young Adult Fantasy (HarperTeen, Winter 2016). In a land where writing is the sacred privilege of a few, a slave girl gets the extraordinary chance to learn the Language of the Gods when she becomes a royal tutor. But her dreams are threatened by her forbidden love for the prince, and her loyalty is tested by the Resistance, who dare her to join in the fight for her people’s freedom.
Kathy is the Sweet Sixteens overall group Coordinator and email handler. She processes new member applications, responds to emails to the group email account, acts as liaison between the committees and the admin team, and does her best to keep the group organized.
- Her favorite book growing up: WATERSHIP DOWN by Richard Adams
- Childhood aspiration: Broadway actress, a dream she did not give up until halfway through her first semester as a musical theater major, when she realized her aspiration meant moving to New York, and she wasn’t about to do that!
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Early in the morning at her little antique desk in the corner of her living room.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: CHAINED by Lynne Kelly
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Sharing sign language with kids.
- Favorite sports team: The Chudley Cannons.
- Surprising personal fact: She performed in the 2002 Lord Mayor’s New Year’s Day Parade in London as part of the Carroll County & Virginia Beach Public Libraries’ Bookcart Precision Drill Team.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Finally seeing years of hard work and rejections and revisions and more hard work and even more revisions pay off!
Where to find her: