Brooks Benjamin is a filmmaker, teacher, husband, SCBWI member, and father to a 75-pound demented German Shepherd mix named LeeLoo. He is represented by the fantabulous Uwe Stender of TriadaUS Literary.
In his middle grade debut, MY 7TH GRADE LIFE IN TIGHTS (Delacorte/Random House, Spring 2016), a 12-year-old boy has the chance to compete for a summer dance scholarship, and must decide what’s more important: sticking with his crew or freestyling his way into solo greatness.
Brooks is the Sweet Sixteens YouTube Coordinator. He coordinates video contests, interviews, giveaways, and other video-related goodies that will be uploaded onto the group’s YouTube channel.
- Favorite books growing up: Any Roald Dahl book. Also BUNNICULA.
- Childhood aspiration: A magician. Then a ninja. Then a ninja magician. Then a mathematician. Then eventually back to a ninja to use powers to vanquish long division.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: As soon as he wakes up and right before going to bed. Without a desk to write on, he just sits at the kitchen table.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: 100 SIDEWAYS MILES by Andrew Smith. (Obsessed with his work and every character he’s ever created.)
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Video games (maybe he loves them too much but doesn’t think that’s possible), going to the movies, and getting lost on long road trips.
- Favorite sports teams: Um…do the Bad News Bears count?
- Surprising personal fact: pointy ears.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Getting to know all of the other amazing Sixteeners and sharing stories, experiences, laughs, tears, and the entire experience of knowing our books are going to be read by kids, teens, and adults someday.
Where to find him: