Before becoming a writer, Jeff Garvin was a child actor, guest-starring on network TV shows such as The Wonder Years and Roseanne. Later, he toured the US as the lead singer of his rock band, 7k. He has a BFA in Film from Chapman University, where he won awards for his short films and classical guitar performances. He lives in California.
In his debut young adult novel, SYMPTOMS OF BEING HUMAN (Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins, Winter 2016), Riley, a 16-year-old gender fluid teen, starts an anonymous blog to deal with hostility from classmates and tension at home. But when the blog goes viral, a storm of media attention threatens Riley’s anonymity.
Jeff is one of the Sweet Sixteens two WordPress Administrators (with Nisha Sharma). He is responsible for the overall look and feel of the Sweet Sixteens website, as well as posting and maintaining new pages.
- Favorite book growing up: CATCHER IN THE RYE by J.D. Salinger
- Childhood aspiration: Astronaut, Rock Star, Actor, Novelist
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Early in the morning, in his writing room with the red wall, his Storm Trooper action figure looking down on him from his tiny Iron Throne
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE GODFATHER by Mario Puzo and THE LEGEND OF DRIZZT: THE COLLECTED STORIES by R.A. Salvatore
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Video Games, Traveling, Scuba Diving, D&D
- Favorite sports team: Green Bay Packers
- Surprising personal fact: He loathes vinegar and caramel apples
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The sulfurous aroma of dreams catching fire
Where to find him: