Jennifer Maschari writes books about brave kids. She’s especially fond of excessive exclamation points, dill pickles, and corny jokes. A former classroom teacher, she continues to work with students as a math and language arts tutor. She lives with her husband and their two handsome (and smelly) bulldogs in Hilliard, Ohio.
Her debut middle grade novel, THE REMARKABLE JOURNEY OF CHARLIE PRICE (Balzer + Bray/HarperCollins, Winter 2016), is about a young boy struggling in the wake of his mother’s death who follows his sister into a magical world identical to their own with one key difference – Mom is alive. But this idealized other world holds terrifying secrets, and he’ll have to defeat monsters both real and imagined or risk losing himself, his sister, and the true memory of his mother forever.
Jen is a Sweet Sixteens co-coordinator of Advance Reading Copy (ARC) Tours, making sure that Sweet Sixteen ARCs get passed among the membership for advanced reading and sharing.
- Her favorite book growing up: WALK TWO MOONS by Sharon Creech and THE SECRET GARDEN by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- Childhood aspiration: Teacher
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Anytime there’s a Diet Coke next to her
- Book currently reading/most recently read: ISLA AND THE HAPPILY EVER AFTER by Stephanie Perkins
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Wrangle her aforementioned bulldogs, eat copious amounts of Mexican food
- Favorite sports team: The Sandlot Team (from the movie!)
- Surprising personal facts: She cannot wink, she once had a gecko named Garbanzo, and as a kid, she had an imaginary friend named Jeff
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Getting the opportunity to share stories with awesome kids who are passionate about books
Where to find her: