Marisa Reichardt is a SoCal native and high school writing instructor. She has a Master of Professional Writing degree from the University of Southern California and dual undergraduate degrees in literature and creative writing from UC San Diego. She spent her college years shucking oysters, waiting tables, and peddling swimwear. She has spent her post-grad years writing, tutoring, and teaching. She currently lives in Los Angeles with her husband and daughter, and can usually be found huddled over her laptop in coffeehouses or swimming in the ocean.
Her debut, UNDERWATER (FSG/Macmillan, January 12, 2016), is a contemporary young adult novel. In the aftermath of a deadly high school shooting, 17-year-old Morgan is an agoraphobic trapped in the apartment she shares with her mother and brother; when surfer boy Evan moves in next door, she has to face the life she’s been missing. Marisa’s second (untitled) stand-alone novel will be released by FSG/Macmillan in 2018.
Marisa, along with Laura Shovan, coordinates the Sweet Sixteens Facebook page. In addition to sharing Sweet Sixteens news, YA/MG newsworthy items, and posts from the Sweet Sixteens website and YouTube channel, she also shares links to blog posts, guest posts, interviews, and more featuring our fabulous Sweet Sixteens authors. Marisa and Laura are also coordinating the Sweet Sixteens author interviews.
- Favorite book growing up: RAMONA QUIMBY, AGE 8 by Beverly Cleary
- Childhood aspiration: Marine biologist
- Favorite time of day/place to write: In the morning in a library or coffeehouse
- Book currently reading/most recently read: I’LL GIVE YOU THE SUN by Jandy Nelson
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Swimming in the ocean
- Favorite sports teams: USC Trojans
- Surprising personal fact: Peppermints make her sneeze
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Meeting other debut authors
Where to find her: