Jeff Zentner lives in Nashville, Tennessee. He came to writing through music, starting his creative life as a guitarist, eventually becoming a songwriter. He’s released five albums and appeared on recordings with Iggy Pop, Nick Cave, Warren Ellis, Thurston Moore, Debbie Harry, Mark Lanegan, and Lydia Lunch, among others. Now he also writes novels for young adults. He became interested in writing for young adults after volunteering at the Tennessee Teen Rock Camp and Southern Girls Rock Camp.
His debut THE SERPENT KING (Crown Books for Young Readers/Random House, Spring 2016) is a young adult novel about growing up in the rural South. Three outcasts–the son of an imprisoned Pentecostal snakehandling minister; a sweet-natured, blue-collar fantasy fan; and a well-known teen fashion blogger–try to make it through their final year of high school with their spirits and senses of self intact.
As a Sweet Sixteens Forum Administrator, Jeff makes sure things run smoothly in the Sweet Sixteens discussion forum and adds boards as needed.
- Jeff’s favorite book growing up: A HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS by by John Bellairs
- Childhood aspiration: Marine Biologist (whale-specific)
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Mornings, on the bus
- Book currently reading/most recently read: WOLF IN WHITE VAN by John Darnielle
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Write/record music, run/walk/hike
- Favorite sport: Mixed martial arts
- Surprising personal fact: Used to have a pet sloth
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: A rising tide floats all boats
Where to find him: