Lee Gjertsen Malone is a Massachusetts transplant, via Long Island, Brooklyn, and Ithaca, NY. As a journalist she’s written about everything from wedding planning to the banking crisis to how to build your own homemade camera satellite. Her interests include amateur cheesemaking, traveling, associating with animals, shushing people in movie theaters, kickboxing, and blinking very rapidly for no reason. She lives in Cambridge, Mass. with her husband, daughter, and a rotating cast of pets.
In Lee’s debut middle grade novel, THE LAST BOY AT ST. EDITH’S (Simon & Schuster/ Aladdin, Spring 2016), the last boy at an all-girls school that failed in an attempt to go coed tries to get himself kicked out through a series of pranks, but faces unforeseen consequences to himself, his friends, and his family.
- Favorite book(s) growing up: HARRIET THE SPY, FROM THE MIXED UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER, CHARLOTTE’S WEB, anything by Edward Eager or Ellen Raskin.
- Childhood aspiration: Doctor-actress-journalist-novelist, which she learned is not technically a thing.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: In the morning, after everyone else leaves for the day, with a cat on her lap and a dog at her feet.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE BREWER’S TALE: A HISTORY OF THE WORLD ACCORDING TO BEER.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Canning and cheese making, gardening, exploring new places, crossword puzzles, and spending time with family.
- Favorite sports teams: Yankees, if only because it draws such rage from people in her adopted hometown of Boston.
- Surprising personal fact: Has an identical twin but never created a personal language, switched classes in school, dressed alike, went to the same college, or explored the same career. Basically they’re just regular sisters except they have the same birthday and look kind of alike. (For some reason, many people find this disappointing.)
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: All the wonderful people she’s met along the way. And when she finally gets to hold a copy of her book in her hands!
Where to find her: