Brittany Cavallaro is a poet, YA writer, and avid Sherlockian. She’s received fellowships and scholarships from the National Endowment from the Arts, the Vermont Studio Center, and the Bread Loaf Writers Conference. Her first book of poems, GIRL-KING, is forthcoming from the University of Akron Press in early 2015. If she’s not writing, she’s probably re-reading Jane Eyre.
Brittany’s debut novel, A STUDY IN CHARLOTTE (Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins, Winter 2016), is a young adult mystery. In this Sherlock Holmes redux, the master detective’s great-granddaughter and John Watson’s great-grandson must unravel the mystery of why they’re being framed for a murder at their American boarding school – while he fights to understand the brilliant and damaged girl beneath her barbed-wire facade.
- Favorite book growing up: CATHERINE CALLED BIRDY by Karen Cushman (she broke the spine on her copy)
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Between 1 and 3pm is her sweet spot
- Book currently reading/most recently read: LIFE AFTER LIFE by Kate Atkinson
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Karaoke
- Surprising personal fact: She was a contestant on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire when she was fifteen–but she didn’t even get into the hot seat (so much for being a trivia queen!)
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: To be in the company of so many writers whose books sound so amazing!
Where to find her: