Melanie’s debut novel for middle grade readers is COUNTING THYME (Putnam & Sons, Winter 2016). The novel follows 11-year-old Thyme Owens, who moves from San Diego to New York City after her brother is accepted into a cancer drug trial. There, she discovers that hope can be found in everyday miracles: in first crushes, in budding friendships, in school plays, and in a sister’s love for her little brother.
- Favorite book growing up: A series called ALFRED HITCHCOCK AND THE THREE INVESTIGATORS, which actually has nothing to do with the famous director. Apparently the author, Robert Arthur, just thought that would add a little allure to the title!
- Childhood aspiration: Paleontologist, followed closely by Veterinarian.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Any time.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: CINDA CHIMA’S SEVEN REALMS series of YA Fantasy novels.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Sketching and building things in her shop.
- Favorite sports teams: Team U.S.A.
- Surprising personal fact: She’s designed an eye wash station for use in chemical spills in factories.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Discovering all of the other new books slated for 2016! There are never enough books.
Where to find her: