Pitched as HOLES meets THE HOUSE ON MANGO STREET, Lindsay’s debut middle grade novel, HOUR OF THE BEES (Candlewick Press, Spring 2016), is the story of Carol, whose feelings about her aged, rambling grandfather are overturned when his tales of a healing tree, a beautiful lake, and the imminent return of bees to the desert of New Mexico start to come true.
- Favorite book growing up: THE 500 HATS OF BARTHOLOMEW CUBBINS by Dr. Seuss
- Childhood aspiration: She’s always wanted to be an author, but she was also certain she’d be a marine biologist, studying sharks. She made fake business cards to hand out at school, and on the back they said, “Save Our Sharks! Conserve, Preserve, Protect!” She was maybe a nerd.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: She’s a single mother, so she takes whatever time she can get–five minutes here at the park, an hour there while preschool is in session, after bedtime… She’s trained herself to write anywhere, anytime. She just needs her manuscript (which she writes by hand, on paper with blue ink), music, and coffee. Lots of coffee.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: HEIR OF FIRE by Sarah Maas. This was her reward between edits!
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Running, cooking, making music, and schooling her daughter on important things like Disney, David Bowie, and Neil Gaiman
- Favorite sports teams: She’s not a sports girl… But Diana Nyad is her favorite athlete.
- Surprising personal fact: She’s never had the chicken pox. She was exposed to it many times as a kid, and never had a vaccination, but it hasn’t hit her yet!
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The amazing company! 2016 is going to be a killer year for MG and YA!
Where to find her: