Kerry Kletter is a former film and TV actress living in Santa Monica, California. She has a BA in literature and studied theater in graduate school. When not writing, she can be found surfing, running, working with animals, commiserating with writer friends, or singing loudly in her car while stuck in LA traffic. She is currently working on her second novel for Penguin.
Kerry’s 2016 debut, THE FIRST TIME SHE DROWNED (Philomel/Penguin, Winter 2016), is a contemporary Young Adult novel. After being committed to a mental hospital for something she claims she didn’t do, Cassie O’Malley turns eighteen, signs herself out against medical advice, and heads to college in the hopes of shedding her past and finally having a normal life. But things take a turn when her estranged mother reenters the picture and throws everything Cassie believes about herself into question.
- Favorite book growing up: BLUBBER by Judy Blume
- Childhood aspiration: Writer or actress
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Whenever creativity strikes/ coffee shop
- Book currently reading/most recently read: AMERICANAH/ ALL THE LIGHT WE CANNOT SEE
- Favorite things to do (other than reading):Surf, run, travel, go out with friends, spend time with her boyfriend of many years
- Favorite sports team: Boston Red Sox
- Surprising personal fact: Started a frog club when she was ten in the hopes of finding like-minded, frog-loving friends. Shockingly, and despite great recruitment efforts, nobody wanted to join.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Being sweet sixteen again!
Where to find her: