Emily Skrutskie was born in Massachusetts, grown in Virginia, and forged in the mountains of Colorado. She was raised by astronomers in the same way that some people are raised by wolves, which has instilled her with a deep love of science fiction and all things futuristic. She recently graduated from Cornell University, where she studied film, game design, and computer science.
Emily’s debut novel, THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US (Flux, Winter 2016), is Young Adult Science Fiction. Seventeen-year-old Cas Leung has spent her whole life training sea monsters to defend ships from pirates. When pirates kidnap her and force her to rear a beast of their own, Cas must decide whether taking vengeance on her captors is worth becoming even more monstrous than the pup she’s raising.
- Favorite book growing up: DRAGON AND THIEF by Timothy Zahn
- Childhood aspiration: Marine biologist
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Late afternoon, right after classes end, in one of the libraries on campus.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Making movies, watching movies, analyzing movies, being tall.
- Favorite sports teams: She inherited the Cubs from her mother
- Surprising personal fact: She wrote and started querying her first book when she was fifteen, and she wrote her college essays about trying to get published.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Having something to tell people when they asked what she’s doing after she graduates.
Where to find her: