Laurie Elizabeth Flynn went to school for Journalism, where she learned that she would rather write made-up stories than report the news. She also worked as a model, a job that took her overseas to Tokyo, Athens, and Paris. Laurie now lives in London, Ontario with her husband and one very spoiled Chihuahua, both of whom are very understanding when she prefers to spend time with the people in her head.
In Laurie’s debut YA novel FIRSTS (Thomas Dunne Books/St Martin’s Press, 2016), seventeen-year-old Mercedes gives her virgin classmates the opportunity to get their first times over with, but what was meant to be temporary spirals out of control.
- Favorite book growing up: GONE WITH THE WIND. Scarlett O’Hara is her favorite character she has ever read.
- Childhood aspiration: When she was little, she wanted to be a vet– until she realized all the math and science that went into it. Definitely not for her!
- Favorite time of day/place to write: She likes to write for a couple hours in the morning, usually in her office. But anywhere there is coffee works for her!
- Books currently reading: SWEET UNREST by Lisa Maxwell and DARK PLACES by Gillian Flynn (who is not related to her, although that would be really cool!)
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Is there anything other than reading? Just kidding… sort of. When she’s not reading or writing, she loves painting, taking her dog for walks, shopping, and doing hot yoga.
- Surprising personal fact: She spent two weeks camping in Zambia, Botswana, and Namibia. It was amazing and she’s dying to see more of Africa.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Getting to meet so many wonderful debut authors and sharing the journey to publication with them!
Where to find her: