Marieke Nijkamp is a storyteller, dreamer, and wanderer. Marieke is a VP of We Need Diverse Books™ and the founder of DiversifYA, an inclusive community where people share advice and experiences. She wants to grow up to be a time traveler.
Her debut, THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS (Sourcebooks Fire, Spring 2016), is a young adult contemporary. THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS is told from the perspective of four teens in a high school held hostage who all have their own reasons to fear the boy with the gun.
Marieke is one of two Sweet Sixteens WordPress Administrators (with Jeff Garvin). She is responsible for coordinating posting of new content on the Sweet Sixteens blog.
- Favorite book growing up: A Dutch children’s book that was very recently translated in English: Tonke Dragt’s THE LETTER FOR THE KING (Pushkin Children’s). She can still recite entire sections from that book verbatim. It’s still one of her favorite reads, and it’s one of those books that absolutely inspires her to write.
- Childhood aspiration: On account of the previous book and many other historical fiction and fantasy, she grew up wanting to be a knight or a spy. Instead, she ended up majoring in medieval studies and started telling stories about courage and hope and darkness instead.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Late at night. She’s definitely a night owl.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: Some very amazing manuscripts from some very amazing authors. ❤
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Writing. Duh.
- Favorite sports teams: Her local football (soccer) team.
- Surprising personal fact: She speaks a lot of languages. Living languages. Dead languages. Coding languages. Mathematical/logical languages. She’s a bit of a language geek. She’s not entirely sure that’s surprising to anyone who’s ever met her, though.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Aside from getting to share this story with readers? Meeting more book people. She loves book people. Book people are the best. ❤ And from what she’s read so far, the 2016 debut authors are disgustingly talented. It’s an honor to be part of this group!
Where to find her: