Claire Fayers was one of the twelve winners of British SCBWI’s Undiscovered Voices competition 2014. She’s represented by Gemma Cooper of the Bent Agency. She lives in South Wales with her husband and two rambunctious cats. Previously a library assistant in a science library, she now writes full-time and is hard at work on book two in her fantasy series.
Claire’s debut, VOYAGE TO MAGICAL NORTH (Macmillan/Holt Children’s and Macmillan UK Children’s, July 2016), is a middle grade fantasy. Seeking her lost parents, twelve-year-old Brine Seaborne joins a pirate ship on a perilous adventure through ghost-infested storms and oceans teeming with man-eating penguins, all to find the magical top of world.
- Favorite book growing up: She doesn’t have a favourite, but she loved anything with magic or sword-fighting.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: The morning in her home office with the door open to the garden and the cats wandering in and out.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE GRISHA trilogy by Leigh Bardugo.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Skiing, flying kites, and playing the cello.
- Surprising personal fact: She travels everywhere with a small, furry dinosaur called Sir Doris.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: She’s in such good company.
Where to find her: