Kurt Dinan has taught high school English for the past twenty years, and while he’s never pulled any of the pranks detailed in DON’T GET CAUGHT, he was once almost arrested in college for blizzarding the campus with fliers promoting a fake concert. He’s published many short stories, one of which, “Plink”, appears in 2015’s The Best Horror of the Year, Volume 7. He lives in suburban Cincinnati with his wife and four children.
Kurt’s debut, DON’T GET CAUGHT (Sourcebooks Fire, April 2016) is a Young Adult contemporary novel. Pitched as The Breakfast Club meets Ocean’s 11, the story is about Max Lewis, a high school nobody who also happens to be a heist film expert who’s memorized their strategies, tactics, and cons. So when he’s framed by the mysterious Chaos Club for vandalizing the town water tower, Max does what any budding mastermind with nothing to lose would do–he recruits a crew of misfits and plots payback.
- Favorite book growing up: A three-way tie–TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING, THE BOXCAR CHILDREN, and SIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL.
- Childhood aspiration: Stuntman, FBI agent, or truck driver.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Early, early mornings at the local Panera.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE ALEX CROW by Andrew Smith.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Go to local amusement park with his family, go on adventures with his children, and go on dates with his wife.
- Surprising personal fact: He once won $1000 playing bingo, and gave $800 of it away to his friends.
Where to find him: