Kelly Zekas is a writer/actor and New York University graduate living in New York City. Young Adult literature is her absolute favorite thing on earth other than cupcakes and she has spent many hours crying over fictional deaths. She also started reading Harlequin romances at a possibly too early age (12?), and adores a good historical romance.
Mild-mannered assistant by day, milder-mannered writer by night, Tarun Shanker is a New York University graduate currently living in Los Angeles. His idea of paradise is a place where kung-fu movies are projected on clouds, David Bowie’s music fills the air, and chai tea flows freely from fountains.
Tarun and Kelly’s debut THESE VICIOUS MASKS (Macmillan/Swoon Reads, February 2016) is a Young Adult Paranormal Historical novel. England; 1882: Evelyn Wyndham’s perfectly boring life is turned upside down when her beloved sister is kidnapped and she’s forced to join forces with her mysterious new neighbor, Sebastian Braddock, whose strange tales of “special powers” are soon proven true.
- Favorite book growing up: Kelly has many, but probably the most enduring would be Harry Potter. Tarun always had the Wayside School series checked out of the library.
- Childhood aspiration: Kelly very much wanted to be an actress. Tarun wanted to watch movies all day and call himself a film critic.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Kelly: Whatever time of day when she finds perfect soundtrack. Writing without music is almost impossible for her. Tarun: Mornings at the dining table, right next to the coffee maker and tea kettle.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: Kelly: THE MARTIAN – Kelly rarely reads popular adult fiction, but this one was just un-put-downable. Tarun finally started Robert Jordan’s Wheel of Time series with THE EYE OF THE WORLD.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Kelly: Acting, always! Tarun likes getting sucked into video games and forgetting what time is.
- Favorite sports teams: Kelly: Mets. Tarun: Celtics.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Kelly: Well … it is pretty sweet! Tarun: Having a book birthday and a real birthday on the same day.
Where to find them: