Lygia Penaflor has worked on dozens of television and film sets, including Gossip Girl, I Am Legend, and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, as a private teacher to young Hollywood stars. An avid equestrian and old-school roller skater, she lives on Long Island with her husband and Vera the Boston Terrier.
Lygia’s debut, UNSCRIPTED JOSS BYRD (Macmillan/Roaring Brook, August 2016), is a Young Adult contemporary novel. It’s the story of America’s most sought-after young actress—billed as the Tatum O’Neal of her generation—navigating the pressure of working on a new film. Shooting on location in Montauk, NY, Joss struggles with her mother’s expectations, a crush on her movie brother, and an ambitious director’s edgy script.
- Favorite book growing up: FROM THE MIXED-UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER by E.L. Konigsburg
- Childhood aspiration: Roller skating waitress, teacher, Mary Hart on Entertainment Tonight, author
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Her brain thinks she likes to write at 2 a.m., but she prefers several hours later at the library.
- Favorite things to do: Visit Hawaii, surf, style, decorate, karaoke, heckle TV shows.
- Surprising personal fact: She wrote UNSCRIPTED JOSS BYRD while on a film shoot.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: It’s happening soon.
Where to find her: