Julie Buxbaum is the author of the critically acclaimed adult novels THE OPPOSITE OF LOVE and AFTER YOU and her work has been translated into twenty-five languages. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband, two young children, and an immortal goldfish. She used to be a lawyer, but realized making stuff up for a living is so much more fun.
Julie’s debut Young Adult novel, TELL ME THREE THINGS (Delacorte, April 2016), tells the story of a sixteen year old who while still grieving over her mother’s death, finds herself in a new house, at a new school, in a new city, with a new stepmother, but no friends — until an email arrives from an anonymous fellow student offering to help her navigate the school’s treacherous social waters. This contemporary YA novel mixes comedy with tragedy and poses the question: What if the person you need the most is someone you’ve never met?
- Favorite book growing up: THE SECRET GARDEN which she finds so magical and healing that to this day she still uses it for a good dose of bibliotherapy.
- Childhood aspiration: To be Wonder Woman.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Cafe. Morning. She tries to keep normal 9 to 5 working hours, but life often gets in the way.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Playing pretend with her children, which is a lot like writing but without having to worry about page counts. Or logic.
- Favorite sports teams: Sports? What are those?
- Surprising personal fact: Julie quit her job and wrote her first novel because of a New Year’s Resolution. It’s the only resolution she’s ever kept.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Becoming a part of the warm and vibrant and fun YA community!
Where to find her: