Hey, all you writers sitting round the Thanksgiving table…tell us what you’re thankful for!
1) I give thanks for my book’s Amazon ranking of #527,456. Because, whatever. Amen.
2) I give thanks for Kirkus Reviews. And Book List. Because they might be reading this. Amen.
3) I give thanks that everyone on my team accepts my gif-abusing dancing cat emails, and ALL CAPS ENTHUSIASM. Amen.
4) Alcohol. Amen.
5) I give thanks for great friends who endure hours of painful plotting questions and don’t complain (too much). Amen.
6) I give thanks for control Z, the power to undo what has just been done. I wish I had a control Z for my life. Amen.
7) I give thanks for Whole Foods Market’s pre-made Thanksgiving menu, for eight-hour keyboard days have left me without the use of my elbows or hands. Amen.
8) I give thanks for Microsoft Word’s find-and-replace function, with which I can combat my woeful dependency on the word “just.” Amen.
9) I give thanks for the times when my family is safe and snug at home and there’s an empty table at B&N cafe–preferably one near the outlet to plug my laptop into. Amen.
10) I give thanks for all the tears I shed over my manuscript, because I hear it’s a great way to detox. Amen.
11) I give thanks that my editor hasn’t actually decided to axe me for being too difficult and incompetent. Yet. Amen.
12) I give thanks (seriously) for everyone pursuing the creative life–writers, artists, photographers, musicians, designers and more–because it’s hard but not impossible, and you’re making the world beautiful. Amen.
13) I give thanks for brilliant critique partners and beta readers who tell me what’s working in my story, but also tell me what’s not.
14) I give thanks for every Sherlock episode, every rerun of Downton Abbey and the Food Channel when I’m really desperate. Amen.
15) I give thanks for being lucky enough to have a debut book experience to be snarky about. Amen.
16) We here at the Sweet Sixteens give thanks for all of you!