Mia Siegert received her MFA from Goddard College and her BA from Montclair State University where she won Honorable Mention in the 2009 English Department Awards for fiction. Siegert has been published in Clapboard House, Word Riot, The Limn Literary & Arts Journal, as well as a few other small presses. She currently works as an adjunct professor and a costume designer.
Mia’s debut, JERKBAIT (Jolly Fish Press, Spring 2016), is a Young Adult coming-of-age thriller. Tristan isn’t close to his identical twin Robbie at all – until Robbie tries to kill himself. After being forced to share a room to prevent Robbie from future attempts, Tristan realizes that Robbie is gay and struggling with the repercussions of coming out in the professional sports world. With their shrinking world, the twins are forced to reconcile their differences and make a decision that could put their lives and innocence in jeopardy.
- Favorite book growing up: THE TREE PEOPLE by Naomi M. Stokes and LIKE SISTERS ON THE HOMEFRONT by Rita Williams-Garcia
- Childhood aspiration: Olympics (Show Jumping)
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Her absolute favorite time is 2-4 a.m. but that’s not super practical. Location isn’t a biggie as long as she’s wearing blue jeans.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: FAR FROM YOU by Tess Sharpe
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Design costumes (she’s a CATS specialist!), ride horses, go to New Jersey Devils games (STH!), eat ice cream, travel, go to Broadway shows…
- Favorite sports teams: New Jersey Devils, Anaheim Ducks, hasn’t decided who she’s rooting for in the WNHL—probably New York Riveters or the Boston Pride, and the Denver Broncos.
- Surprising personal fact: She only studied literary fiction in school (undergrad and MFA alike). YA happened on a whim!
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Her birthday is on a 16th, so she loves the idea of her debut coming out in the year 2016.
Where to find her: