Judy Sheehan always knew she wanted to write, but she got distracted by theater. She was one of the original cast member/creators of the long-running hit Tony ‘n Tina’s Wedding and was the playwright-in-residence at New York’s Looking Glass Theatre. She had plays produced there, and at regional theaters around the country. She lives in New York City where frequently misses her subway stop because she’s reading.
Judy’s debut novel, I WOKE UP DEAD AT THE MALL (Random House/Delacorte, March 22, 2016), is a Young Adult contemporary fantasy mystery. Last night, Sarah was a bridesmaid, dressed in hideous mango chiffon. Today, she woke up dead at the Mall of America, where she must work through the unfinished business of her unfinishable life. But Sarah is tied to life and the living in ways that surprise her, especially when she learns that the one person she loves back on Earth is in grave (yes grave) danger.
- Favorite book growing up: HELEN KELLER’S TEACHER. Because words.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: She’s one of those Starbucks/laptop people.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: OUR SOULS AT NIGHT by Kent Haruf.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Bake, eat, walk it off, and start over.
- Surprising personal fact: Judy is the 10th of 12 children.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Sharing the journey and discovering so many universes with universes from so many gifted authors.
Where to find her: