Margaret Dilloway is the author of the adult books THE TALE OF THE WARRIOR GEISHA, SISTERS OF HEART AND SNOW, THE CARE AND HANDLING OF ROSES WITH THORNS and HOW TO BE AN AMERICAN HOUSEWIFE. This is her first book for kids. She lives in San Diego with her family and a big Goldendoodle named Gatsby, who looks just like the dog on the cover.
Margaret’s debut kids novel, MOMOTARO: XANDER AND THE LOST ISLAND OF MONSTERS (Disney-Hyperion, 4/5/2016) is a middle grade fantasy. In this Percy Jackson-meets-Miyazaki adventure, 12-year-old Xander Miyamoto finds out he’s the heir to a legendary Japanese warrior throne, tasked with killing off the oni who cause all the world’s troubles. Only problem is, he has no idea how to use his powers. With his best friend Peyton and loyal dog in tow, Xander sets off to rescue his father and save the world.
- Favorite book as a child: THE SILVER CHAIR by C.S. Lewis.
- Childhood aspiration: She has wanted to be a writer ever since she learned how to write– it was a toss-up between writer and artist, but art supplies cost too much.
- Favorite time to write: First thing in the morning.
- Last book read: THE MEMORY PAINTER by Gwen Womack.
- Favorite things to do: Hike with her dog, make dollhouse miniatures, plot obsessive home improvement projects.
- Surprising personal fact: Recently got a defibrillator implanted due to a rare genetic heart condition.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Bringing a half-Asian superhero to the world and retelling the legends her mother told her, with the help of a supportive publisher. It’s time!
Where to find her: