Rahul Kanakia has stories appearing or forthcoming in Clarkesworld, The Indiana Review, Apex, and Nature. He holds an MFA in Creative Writing from Johns Hopkins, and a B.A. in Economics from Stanford, and used to work in the field of international development. Currently, he lives in Berkeley, CA and makes his living as a freelance writer and content creation consultant.
Rahul’s debut Young Adult novel, ENTER TITLE HERE (Disney-Hyperion, August 2016), was pitched as Gossip Girl meets House of Cards. The novel takes the form of an unpublished manuscript written by over-achiever Reshma Kapoor as she launches a Machiavellian campaign to reclaim her valedictorian status after being caught plagiarizing.
- Favorite book: For years, his favorite book was Isaac Asimov’s CAVES OF STEEL. Then, from about the age of 14 onwards, his favorite book was ATLAS SHRUGGED – a book that, despite its retrograde political philosophy, does still have a place in his heart.
- Childhood aspiration: He wanted to be a physicist. He really liked physics in high school and he loved space travel and, to him, physics meant ‘figuring out how to travel through space.’ Of course, physics is actually way more complicated and nuanced than that, which is why he eventually lost interest in it.
- Favorite time of day / place to write: He prefers to start writing between 10 AM and 11 AM, and he almost always writes on his couch in his living room.
- Book currently reading: Michael Chabon’s WONDER BOYS.
- Favorite things to do: Go to parties and meet new people
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: His friends and family have newfound respect for him, which has led to a concomitant increase in his overall social status.
Where to find him: