After adventuring all over the Midwest, Abby now lives in Minnesota with her miniature poodle, Louis. You can usually find her hanging out at a library or a cupcake place. The best day involves both. She is represented by Rebecca Sherman at Writers House.
Abby’s debut, STICKS AND STONES (FSG/Macmillan, Spring 2016) is a Middle Grade contemporary novel. Pitched as SAVVY meets WONDER, eleven-year-old Elyse has an extremely rare skin condition in which the names people call her appear on her body. When she starts middle school, she finds the things she thinks about herself showing up alongside the harsh words of others. Just as she wants to hide from the world the most, a series of anonymous notes encourage Elyse to stand up and be noticed.
- Favorite book growing up: FRINDLE by Andrew Clements.
- Childhood aspiration: Writer!
- Favorite time of day/place to write: First thing in the morning. She can write anywhere as long as there’s coffee.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: BREAKING THE ICE by Gail Nall.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Playing Scrabble, eating cookies, running, eating more cookies, watching an embarrassing amount of reality TV.
- Favorite sports teams: Which teams are wearing the best colors these days?
- Surprising personal fact: She can make a weird humming sound out of her nose and was sort of famous for it once (http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20236472,00.html).
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Feeling like this “getting published” thing is really happening!
Where to find her: