Julie Eshbaugh used to have trouble staying in one spot, having lived in places as varied as Utah, France, and New York City. She eventually returned home to the Philadelphia area, where she now lives with her husband, son, cat and dog. Early on, Julie focused her artistic energies on filmmaking and online video, making two short films and producing an online video series for teens.
Julie’s debut novel, IVORY AND BONE (HarperCollins, Summer 2016), is Young Adult historical fiction set in a time of wholly mammoths and saber-toothed cats that reads like fantasy. With a unique narrative structure, it tells the story of two star-crossed teens whose competing clans share a dark history, and who must choose between trusting—or fighting—each other.
- Favorite book growing up: So many! One of her favorites was FROM THE MIXED-UP FILES OF MRS. BASIL E. FRANKWEILER by EL Konigsburg
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Late morning, at her desk facing the picture window
- Book currently reading/most recently read: A LESSON BEFORE DYING by Ernest J. Gaines
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Travel, especially to a place with a beautiful beach
- Favorite sports teams: The Philadelphia Phillies
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Being able to share the experience with her family, friends, and the great authors in this group! (And how lucky to debut in a year that lends itself to a killer name like The Sweet Sixteens?)
Where to find her: