Peter Brown Hoffmeister is the author of the critically acclaimed adult novel GRAPHIC THE VALLEY, and the memoir THE END OF BOYS. A former troubled teen, Peter now runs the Integrated Outdoor Program, serving teens of all backgrounds, taking them into wilderness areas to backpack, climb, spelunk, orienteer, and whitewater raft. He lives with his wife and daughters in Eugene, Oregon.
Peter’s Young Adult debut, THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU LAUGH (Random House/Knopf, May 17th, 2016), is a contemporary novel. Travis is a teenager in a trailer park in Eugene, Oregon. This is how he plans to spend the summer:
- Working on his basketball game with his friend, Creature.
- Reading excerpts from Creature’s novel-in-progress: The Pervert’s Guide to Russian Princesses.
- Canoeing the lake, trying to catch a glimpse of the girl who just moved in.
- Not going back to juvie . . .
- Searching the homeless camps for his mother.
- Favorite book growing up: The first book that upended Peter’s world was THE PAINTED BIRD by Jerzy Kosiński
- Childhood aspiration: He wanted to be an astronaut, an army special forces officer like his uncle, or an author.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Very early morning on his couch, when the house is dark and quiet.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: BLOOD DAZZLER by Patricia Smith.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Rock climbing, specifically bouldering volcanic pockets in Central Oregon.
- Favorite sports teams: The Oregon Ducks.
- Surprising personal fact: He was expelled from three high schools.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The YA community. It’s SO inclusive.
Where to find him: