Adriana Mather is the 14th generation of Mathers in America, and as such her family has their fingers in many of its historical pies – the first Thanksgiving, the Salem Witch Trials, the Titanic, the Revolutionary War, and the wearing of curly white wigs. Also, Adriana owns a production company, Zombot Pictures, in LA that has made three feature films in three years. Her first acting scene in a film ever was with Danny Glover, and she was terrified she would mess it up. In addition, her favorite food is pizza and she has too many cats.
Adriana’s debut novel, HOW TO HANG A WITCH (Random House/Knopf, Fall 2016), is a Young Adult Contemporary novel pitched as The Ghost and Mrs. Muir meets The Craft. When heroine Samantha Mather moves to modern-day Salem, Mass., the crimes of her ancestors—who were involved in hanging witches in the town 300 years ago—come back to haunt her. Samantha is ostracized by the witch descendants at school, confronted by an enigmatic ghost, and forced to trust her only friend and, ultimately, herself, as she unravels the lost secrets of the hangings and her family.
- Favorite book growing up: It’s a tie between THE LITTLE PRINCE and SIDDHARTHA.
- Childhood Aspirations: 1) Be in charge of everything fun and leave all the un-fun stuff to someone else (she still tries to negotiate this scenario with her mother but she’s not having it) 2) Have a pet monkey 3) Drive big trucks.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Her bed… She’s like the grandparents in Willy Wonka.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: FAR FAR AWAY by Tom McNeal.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Act, spoon her cats, eat, go to India, jump in the waves.
- Favorite sports teams: soft pretzels with mustard… wait, she means all the NY teams
- Surprising personal fact: She played rugby in college for three years and went to nationals twice.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Feeling vindicated for all that time she spent in bed.
Where to find her: