Mike Grosso is a writer, teacher, and musician from Oak Park, Illinois, where he lives with his wife and son. He grew up in a musical family. He hopes to one day get out of his apartment and into a house where he can finally have a drum set without driving his neighbors insane.
Mike’s debut, I AM DRUMS (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Clarion Books, 9/6/2016) is a contemporary middle grade novel. While other kids dream about cars, sports, and fashion, all Samantha Morris dreams about is playing the drums. But it’s hard to make her dreams come true when her parents are against it, she bangs on dictionaries because she can’t afford a real kit, and her middle school is planning to cut its music program. Sam’s only hope is to find a private teacher and pay for lessons herself, all without her parents finding out.
- Favorite book growing up: A three-way tie among ANASTASIA KRUPNIK, SIDEWAYS STORIES FROM WAYSIDE SCHOOL, and THE THING AT THE FOOT OF THE BED.
- Childhood aspiration: A rockstar with really weird hair.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Whenever his son is taking a nap.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: He’s reading THE 8TH CONTINENT by Matt London and listening to FANGIRL by Rainbow Rowell in the car during his commute.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Playing music, bothering nearby family members, spooky video games, staring at things.
- Favorite sports teams: um… uh… the Chicago Cardinals?
- Surprising personal fact: He teaches fourth grade and enjoys telling his kids there’s a chocolate swimming pool in the teachers’ lounge.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author is that he still gets to be a debut author! He’s a former 2015 debut who lost his initial book deal with Egmont when the New York office closed, so for a short time he didn’t know what was going to happen. It’s great to be back on the road to publishing his debut while meeting so many talented authors!
Where to find him: