Audrey Coulthurst writes YA books that tend to involve magic, horses, and kissing the wrong people. When she’s not dreaming up new stories, she can usually be found painting, singing, or on the back of a horse. Audrey has a Master’s in Writing from Portland State University, is a member of SCBWI, and studied with Malinda Lo as a 2013 Lambda Literary Foundation Fellow. She lives in Santa Monica, California.
Audrey’s debut novel, OF FIRE AND STARS (HarperCollins/Balzer + Bray, November 22, 2016), is a Young Adult fantasy. Princess Denna has spent most of her life preparing to marry the prince of a neighboring kingdom and to one day become queen. But as her forbidden magical gift for fire becomes harder to hide and she starts to fall in love with her fiancé’s rogueish sister, Mare, she has to choose between her duty, her power, and her heart.
- Favorite book growing up: She loved too many books to pick just one, but BY THE SWORD by Mercedes Lackey was a huge influence on her as a writer.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Writing either early in the morning or very late at night after everyone else is asleep seems to work best for her.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: SIMON VS. THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA by Becky Albertalli.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Horseback riding, singing, and trying new restaurants and foods.
- Favorite sports teams: Her apathy regarding sportsball is legendary.
- Surprising personal fact: She judged her first car show at age 14.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Making lots of new friends whose books she can’t wait to read.
Where to find her: