Destiny’s debut novel, IRON CAST (Abrams/Amulet, October 11, 2016), is a Young Adult historical fantasy. The story follows two best friends and illusionists who live and work in a Prohibition-era nightclub and con the city’s elite, only to find themselves entangled with mobsters when a con goes awry.
- Favorite book growing up: ELLA ENCHANTED by Gail Carson Levine
- Childhood aspiration: An archaeologist, in the vein of Indiana Jones.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: She loves writing in coffee shops in the middle of the day, to take full advantage of the people-watching. But her day job means she usually has to make do with her bed in the middle of the night, while Sophie the cat tries repeatedly to climb on top of her laptop.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: PRIDE AND PREJUDICE (for the fifteenth time).
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): When the weather is warm (which in Alabama is…almost always), she likes to practice her hula hooping. On those rare chilly nights, she loves nothing more than hot tea and Alfred Hitchcock Presents marathons.
- Favorite sports teams: The Night Vale Spiderwolves. She has a t-shirt and everything.
- Surprising personal fact: After college, she spent seven months backpacking across New Zealand, where she ate a lot of kiwifruit chocolate, went bungee jumping and skydiving (twice), and simply walked into Mordor.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Plugging into a fantastic community of writers and readers.
Where to find her: