Hannah West writes for love and for a living; when she’s not writing about magic and teenagers, she pens articles about renewable energy and home renovation. She lives in Dallas, where she enjoys the company of her fiancé and their rambunctious blue heeler/fur baby. She has a French degree that she nevers uses, but she does enjoy the occasional French macaron.
Hannah’s debut novel, KINGDOM OF ASH AND BRIARS (Holiday House, September 15, 2016), is a Young Adult fantasy. When Bristal becomes a powerful, immortal elicromancer, she meets the only remaining two of her kind–one of whom hides dark plans to tyrannize the mortals they are meant to serve. Bristal must use her gifts to protect a cursed princess, pose as a soldier, and forge royal alliances in hopes of unifying the realm’s armies–before the traitor brings supernatural war down on the three kingdoms of Nissera.
- Favorite book growing up: ELLA ENCHANTED by Gail Carson Levin, THE OUTLAWS OF SHERWOOD by Robin McKinley
- Childhood aspiration: Hannah’s childhood career aspirations ranged from acting to archeology, but she was writing the whole time and soon realized it was pretty much her only skill.
- Currently reading/just read: She is currently double-teaming BLOOD AND SALT by Kim Liggett and SWORD AND VERSE by Kathy MacMillan. Before that, she read WINNER’S CURSE by Marie Rutkoski.
- Favorite things to do: Hannah loves being outside–walking her dog, camping, hiking. She also loves netflix, going out with friends, and finding the most interesting restaurants in Dallas.
- Surprising personal fact: This may be no surprise when it comes to a writer, but Hannah has startlingly vivid dreams nearly every night, one of which inspired her current work-in-progress.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: She’s also getting married this year, so it’s an exciting/busy time all around!
Where to find her: