Kali Wallace’s middle grade fantasy novel, City of Islands, releases on July 24, 2018 from Katherine Tegen Books/HarperCollins. For information and preorder links see her website. If you want a sneak peek at the first chapter, sign up for Kali’s monthly newsletter here.
In addition, Kali has recently sold two novels for adults to Ace Books. The first is House of Wisdom, a sci fi horror/thriller about a group of people having a very bad day aboard an abandoned spaceship. Add House of Wisdom on Goodreads for future updates and information.
Emily Skrutskie’s new book, Hullmetal Girls, an action-packed sci-fi thriller in the vein of Battlestar Galactica, releases July 17th, 2018 from Delacorte. More info here.
Wendy McLeod MacKnight’s new middle grade novel, The Frame-Up, comes out June 5, 2018. Check out this mix of fantasy, humor, and mystery about artwork that truly comes alive. More information here.
Check out our UPCOMING RELEASES list in the sidebar at the left for more exciting books from the Sweet Sixteens!
Congratulations to our member with a book releasing today! Click on the cover below for more information:
Congratulations to our one member with a book releasing today! Click on the cover below for more information:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet February debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink and Ava Jae!
Many of our members will be on hand at the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting this weekend in Boston! Here’s where to find them:
Saturday, January 9
9:00 AM-10:00 AM: Evangeline Denmark will be signing CURIO at the HarperCollins Booth (#2017)
11:00 AM: Monica Tesler, author of BOUNDERS, will be participating in a Middle Grade Fantasy Panel and Signing at the Pop Top Stage
1:30 PM-2:30 PM: Kathy MacMillan will be giving out SWORD AND VERSE swag and signing MORE STORYTIME MAGIC and her other storytime resource books at the ALA Store
1:30 PM-3:00 PM: Amy Allgeyer (DIG TOO DEEP), Elizabeth Briggs (FUTURE SHOCK), and Dana Elmendorf (SOUTH OF SUNSHINE) will be signing ARCs at the Albert Whitman Booth (#1922)
All day: Kristy Acevedo will be offering signed CONSIDER swag. Find her on the exhibits floor!
Sunday, January 10
11:00 AM: Marieke Nijkamp, author of THIS IS WHERE IT ENDS, will be participating in the We Need Diverse Books Panel at the Pop Top Stage
11:00 AM: Jennifer Mason-Black will be signing ARCs of DEVIL AND THE BLUEBIRD at the Abrams booth (#1825)
1:00 PM: Riley Redgate will be signing ARCs of SEVEN WAYS WE LIE at the Abrams booth (#1825)
11:00 AM: Emily Skrutskie will be signing ARCs of THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US at the Flux Booth (#2041)
4:00 PM: Elizabeth Briggs (FUTURE SHOCK), Dana Elmendorf (SOUTH OF SUNSHINE), Emily Martin (THE YEAR WE FELL APART), and Roshani Chokshi (THE STAR-TOUCHED QUEEN) will be participating in a Class of 2k16 Panel at the Pop Top Stage
Monday, January 11
11:00 AM: Emily Skrutskie will be discussing THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US at the Pop Top Stage
In the month of June, the Sweet Sixteens took on the topic of summer reading:
1) Emily Skrutskie shares her recommendations for your summer reads.
2) Melissa Gorzelanczyk recommends books to relax with.
3) Lists, lists, lists! Librarian/author Carter Higgins shared her graded summer reading lists.
4) Jennifer DiGiovanni makes a diverse plan for her summer beach reads.
5) Laurie Elizabeth Flynn reflects on summer reading past and present.
6) Everly Frost writes from Down Under with her best winter reads.
7) Jeff Garvin reflects on the reading, summer and otherwise, that shaped him.
8) Wendy Spinale’s got your poolside needs covered with her list of summer thirst quenchers paired with books for every taste.
Don’t forget to leave the Sixteens some love on their own blog as well as here! Feel free to share this post with the hashtag #SixteensBlogAbout. Until next month, happy reading!
Emily Skrutskie was born in Massachusetts, grown in Virginia, and forged in the mountains of Colorado. She was raised by astronomers in the same way that some people are raised by wolves, which has instilled her with a deep love of science fiction and all things futuristic. She recently graduated from Cornell University, where she studied film, game design, and computer science.
Emily’s debut novel, THE ABYSS SURROUNDS US (Flux, Winter 2016), is Young Adult Science Fiction. Seventeen-year-old Cas Leung has spent her whole life training sea monsters to defend ships from pirates. When pirates kidnap her and force her to rear a beast of their own, Cas must decide whether taking vengeance on her captors is worth becoming even more monstrous than the pup she’s raising.
- Favorite book growing up: DRAGON AND THIEF by Timothy Zahn
- Childhood aspiration: Marine biologist
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Late afternoon, right after classes end, in one of the libraries on campus.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Making movies, watching movies, analyzing movies, being tall.
- Favorite sports teams: She inherited the Cubs from her mother
- Surprising personal fact: She wrote and started querying her first book when she was fifteen, and she wrote her college essays about trying to get published.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Having something to tell people when they asked what she’s doing after she graduates.
Where to find her:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Add Book