Congratulations to our members with books releasing today! Click on the covers below for more information about each title:
Before settling down to write “for real,” Julie Hammerle studied opera, taught Latin, and held her real estate license for one hot minute. Currently, she writes about TV on the internet, ropes people into conversations about Game of Thrones, and makes excuses to avoid the gym. Her favorite YA-centric TV shows include 90210 (original spice), Felicity, and Freaks and Geeks. Her iPod reads like a 1997 Lilith Fair set list. She lives in Chicago with her husband, two kids, and a dog. They named the dog Indiana.
Julie’s debut, THE SOUND OF US (Entangled Teen, June 7, 2016), is a contemporary Young Adult novel. Kiki Nichols, who is more in tune with her internet friends and the characters on her favorite cult TV show than anyone in her “real” life, finds friendship, love, and acceptance at a pre-college summer opera program.
- Julie’s first book love is the Betsy-Tacy series by Maud Hart Lovelace. She feels a special kinship toward Betsy Ray.
- Childhood aspiration: Julie was convinced she was going to be either a famous singer or an Oscar winning actress. Or both.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: UNDER THE LIGHTS by Dahlia Adler.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Julie watches a lot of TV and movies, and she consumes way too much pop culture gossip. She has been known to shut down parties by talking too much about Game of Thrones.
- Favorite sports teams: Julie remains fiercely loyal to her hometown teams — the Cubs and the Bulls. She also cheers loudly (and in an ancient, mangled T-shirt) for her alma mater, Butler University.
- Surprising personal fact: Before having her own kids, she taught Latin to second graders. And third graders. And fourth through eighth graders.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Julie is excited and humbled to be in such great company. Also, 16 is one of the LOST numbers, so, obviously, it’s going to be a great year. Those numbers are LUCKY, right? Not cursed?
Where to find her:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet June debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Shari Schwarz, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink and Ava Jae!