Congratulations to our members with books releasing today! Click on the covers below for more information about each title:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet May debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Shari Schwarz, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink and Ava Jae!
Karen Hattrup grew up in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. She studied journalism at Loyola University Maryland and went on to become a newspaper reporter, first in Maryland and then in Indiana, writing features and serving as an award-wining arts critic. She later studied nonfiction writing at the Johns Hopkins University. She lives in Baltimore City with her husband and daughter.
Karen’s debut, FRANNIE AND TRU (Harper Collins, Summer 2016), is a Young Adult contemporary novel. When Frannie Little eavesdrops on her parents fighting she discovers that her cousin Truman is gay, and his parents are so upset they are sending him to live with her family for the summer. At least, that’s what she thinks the story is. . . When he arrives, shy Frannie befriends this older boy, who is everything that she’s not–rich, confident, cynical, sophisticated. Together, they embark on a magical summer marked by slowly unraveling secrets.
- Favorite book growing up: Anything by Louis Sachar or Lois Lowry.
- Childhood aspiration: Either a zookeeper or an author.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: First thing in the morning, before everyone else is awake, looking out the window of her home office.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE BRAINDEAD MEGAPHONE by George Saunders. The essay “Thank You, Esther Forbes” can restore your faith in why language matters.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Spending time with her husband and daughter; hanging out all over the wonderful city of Baltimore; spending twice as much time reading food blogs as actually cooking.
- Favorite sports teams: The Baltimore Ravens.
- Surprising personal fact: In college, she spent a semester abroad in Thailand.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Connecting with great writers, of course. Also, she’s having another baby this fall and then her book comes out next summer, so the coming months should be some of the best/scariest/most exhausting of her life.
Where to find her: