Congratulations to our members with books releasing today! Click on the covers below for more information about each title:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet May debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Shari Schwarz, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink and Ava Jae!
Nanci Turner Steveson grew up in Connecticut, England and Texas, with a book in one hand, the reins of a pony in the other. In addition to writing for young people, she is a theatre Stage Manager, runs a Teen Creative Writing Group, and is on the Board of Directors of the Jackson Hole Writers Conference. Proud mother of two sons, she lives in a historic meadow cabin with a passel of dogs and horses.
Nanci’s debut, SWING SIDEWAYS (HarperCollins, May 3, 2016), is a realistic middle grade novel. A heartfelt story in the tradition of Walk Two Moons and Bridge to Terabithia about two girls from opposite sides of the country who meet and discover the truth about friendship and loss during one unforgettable summer.
- Favorite books growing up: BLACK BEAUTY, CHARLOTTE’S WEB, all the LITTLE HOUSE books, JUDY’S JOURNEY, PETER RABBIT, her list goes on forever.
- Childhood aspiration: First, she wanted to be a pony. When she found out that wasn’t going to work, she decided to be either Vivian Leigh or Beatrix Potter (her family lived in England and Vivian Leigh made a record of Peter Rabbit which she played so many times her mean older brother broke it). When she was nine, Nanci read BLACK BEAUTY the first time and from that moment on, all she ever wanted to be was a writer.
- Favorite writing setting: Early morning, in the summer on the front porch which faces the mountains, in the winter in a cozy chair by a crackling fire in the wood stove.
- Book currently reading: PAPERBOY and HARRY POTTER 5.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Ride her horse in the mountains, teach kids to ride, teach to kids to write, dance, pick wildflowers, cook and watch movies with her grown sons, write, study history.
- Favorite sports team: DALLAS COWBOYS!
- Surprising personal fact: Nanci has had more careers than she has fingers and toes, including (but not limited to): Equestrian center manager, floral designer, retail marketing director, event coordinator, riding instructor, Arabian horse breeding farm manager, western boot seller, professional theatre stage manager, reading fairy at a ski resort daycare, caretaker, writer, and the most important one of her life, Mom.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The timing in her life is perfect. If her debut book had come any earlier, she wouldn’t have been in a position to join groups like the Sweet Sixteens and meet so many other incredibly talented debut authors.
Where to find her:
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Add Book