Congratulations to our members with books releasing today! Click on the covers below for more information about each title:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet May debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Shari Schwarz, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink and Ava Jae!
Wendy Spinale knew early on her dreams would take her beyond the second star to the right. A journalist, former Disneyland Character, and designated official Lost Girl by Peter himself (true story), Wendy has combined her love for writing and all things fairy tale in her young adult novel, Everland, debuting Summer 2016. She resides in the Bay Area, California with her husband and children.
Wendy’s debut, EVERLAND (Scholastic, Summer 2016) is a young adult steampunk novel. In a world powered by steam and run by pirates, Gwen must battle Hook and the rest of his Marauders to save her abducted sister and search for the cure to the Horologia virus. With the help of the only survivors of the war, Pete and the Everland orphans, Gwen will learn that growing up takes more than faith, trust, and pixie dust.
- Favorite book growing up: PETER PAN! Named Wendy after the Peter Pan character, grew up to be a Disneyland cast member….Peter will always be her favorite.
- Childhood aspiration: A rock star, but her singing can make glass break and dogs howl. So…she became a writer instead.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: A local cafe, in the morning…coffee a MUST!
- Book currently reading/most recently read: THE DARKEST MINDS series by Alexandra Bracken
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Does writing count?
- Favorite sports teams: A’s and Niners.Bay Area girl all the way! (Shh! Don’t tell her New Englander dad.)
- Surprising personal fact: She’s a former Disneyland character. And that is all she can say. If she told you any more Disney secrets, the seven dwarves will make sure you’re sleeping with the fishes. She’s also Italian with some mafia ties way back when. She thinks the dwarves might be too.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Meeting other awesome debut authors.
Where to find her:
1) Emily Skrutskie shares her recommendations for your summer reads.
2) Melissa Gorzelanczyk recommends books to relax with.
3) Lists, lists, lists! Librarian/author Carter Higgins shared her graded summer reading lists.
4) Jennifer DiGiovanni makes a diverse plan for her summer beach reads.
5) Laurie Elizabeth Flynn reflects on summer reading past and present.
6) Everly Frost writes from Down Under with her best winter reads.
7) Jeff Garvin reflects on the reading, summer and otherwise, that shaped him.
8) Wendy Spinale’s got your poolside needs covered with her list of summer thirst quenchers paired with books for every taste.
Don’t forget to leave the Sixteens some love on their own blog as well as here! Feel free to share this post with the hashtag #SixteensBlogAbout. Until next month, happy reading!