Ashley Herring Blake is a singer/songwriter turned fiction writer and lives in Nashville with her witty husband and two boisterous boys. She went to Berry College and has a Masters in Teaching. Former jobs include barista, teacher, nanny, ABA therapist, and full-time mom. She believes in community, kindness, and beautiful stories with messy endings. Her favorite things are coffee, Sea Wolf, indie bookstores, and sushi. She doesn’t like soggy asparagus or chitchat.
Ashley’s YA debut, SUFFER LOVE (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, Spring 2016) is a modern day Romeo and Juliet about two teens brought together only to be torn apart by their parents’ choices. When Hadley and Sam meet, the last thing either of them wants is a messy relationship. But as their attraction deepens, so do the lies between them and both must decide if the truth is worth the cost.
- Favorite book growing up: JUST AS LONG AS WE’RE TOGETHER by Judy Blume
- Childhood aspiration: Disney singer (“Look at this stuff, isn’t it neat…?”)
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Morning and late at night, couch/desk/coffee shop
- Book currently reading/most recently read: FAULT LINE by C. Desir
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Music (playing, listening, and singing), coffee, walks, and witty banter
- Favorite sports teams: Atlanta Braves
- Surprising personal fact: Highly uptight about the condition of her books, no dog-eared pages, writing, or bent covers please
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: The community, hands down. Writing is going to happen regardless of professional success (which, yeah, is still like WHOA), but being a part of a group of people who are all trying to do the same crazy, wonderful thing…priceless.
Where to find her: