Congratulations to our members with books releasing today! Click on the covers below for more information:
Here’s our handy printable release calendar to help you keep track of all the sweet September debuts coming at you soon!
Thanks to our printable calendar team: Sarah Alexander, Jenn Nguyen, Dee Romito, Shari Schwarz, Kathy MacMillan, Randi Pink, Ava Jae, and Marieke Nijkamp!
Sarah S. Reida received her B.A. in English from St. Louis University and always wanted to be a writer, but took a detour to attend law school and start a practice that helps veteran small businesses. She and her husband Scott are proud to own a roomy house in the Atlanta area, as this means they can fill it with rescue animals. Their daughter – coming November 2016! – will be raised to love reading, animals, and Costco (which is magical).
Pitched as GOONIES meets JUMANJI, in MONSTERVILLE: A LISSA BLACK PRODUCTION (Sky Pony Press, Sept. 20, 2016), thirteen-year-old film-obsessed Lissa discovers a shape-shifting monster in her woods and decides to film the greatest horror movie of all time…until her little sister is kidnapped to the monster homeland of Down Below and she needs her star’s help to rescue her. http://www.lissablackproductions.com (includes movie trivia and film-making info!).
- Favorite book growing up: SUPERFUDGE.
- Childhood aspiration: Writer and/or lawyer.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Either late at night with a glass of red wine, or on the balcony so she can monitor her cats’ murdering tendencies and let the dog in and out, in and out, in and out. . .
- Book currently reading/most recently read: YES, PLEASE by Amy Poehler (She loves her, but no, thank you – BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey is far better).
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Watching movies, half-baked gardening attempts.
- Favorite sports teams: Ha! Pass. . .
- Surprising personal fact: She got married on Halloween and had a Halloween-themed wedding. Stephen King books were the wedding favors.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Finally, finally, FINALLY getting a book published!
Where to find her:
In high school, much to the dismay of her guidance counselor, Lisa Koosis traded AP English for a creative writing class and a class in speculative fiction. She never looked back. Lisa is a member of the SCBWI, an ambassador for National Novel Writing Month, and an active member of her local writing community. Her short stories have been published widely. When she isn’t writing, you’ll probably find her out walking her dog, or chilling with her cats..
Lisa’s debut novel, RESURRECTING SUNSHINE (Albert Whitman & Co./AW Teen, October 2016), is Young Adult science fiction. A grieving young musician must make an impossible choice about cloning the girl he loved, in this novel about memory and identity, love and loss.
- Favorite book growing up: Probably L. Ron Hubbard’s WRITERS OF THE FUTURE anthologies, which published contest-winning stories from amateur science fiction and fantasy writers. She swore she would have a story in the anthology series one day. (Note: she never did, but not for lack of trying! She only made it as far as the semi-finals.)
- Childhood aspiration: Veterinarian
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Lisa is a night owl. She does some of her best work long after the clock strikes midnight.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: Stephen King’s THE BAZAAR OF BAD DREAMS
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Walking her dog, beachcombing (whenever she can get back to the shore) and getting together with her local writing friends.
- Surprising personal fact: Lisa has an unnatural love affair with feather earrings and has upwards of 15 pairs!
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Not only fulfilling a lifelong dream/goal, but also getting to connect with so many amazing writers along the way.
Where to find her:
Amazon released its 2016 Best Books of the Year (so far) and we’re thrilled to see some Sweet Sixteen books on the lists for MG and YA lit! Keep your eyes peeled because there are LOTS of amazing lists and many more amazing releases!
2017 Covers are HERE! Feast your eyes!!!
HOW TO MAKE A WISH
Ashley Herring Blake revealed the lovely cover for her sophomore YA, HOW TO MAKE A WISH. WISH is set to release May 2, 2017.
All seventeen year-old Grace Glasser wants is her own life. A normal life in which she sleeps in the same bed for longer than three months and doesn’t have to scrounge for spare change to make sure the electric bill is paid. Emotionally trapped by her unreliable mother, Maggie, and the tiny cape on which she lives, she focuses on her best friend, her upcoming audition for a top music school in New York, and surviving Maggie’s latest boyfriend—who happens to be Grace’s own ex-boyfriend’s father.
Her attempts to lay low until she graduates are disrupted when she meets Eva, a girl with her own share of ghosts she’s trying to outrun. Grief-stricken and lonely, Eva pulls Grace into midnight adventures and feelings Grace never planned on. When Eva tells Grace she likes girls, both of their worlds open up. But, united by loss, Eva also shares a connection with Maggie. As Grace’s mother spirals downward, both girls must figure out how to love and how to move on.
Nicole Castroman revealed her cover for BLACKSOULS, set to release on April 11, 2017. BLACKSOULS is the sequel to BLACKHEARTS wherein Edward “Teach” Drummond is setting sail to the Caribbean as first mate on the most celebrated merchant ship in the British fleet—until he rebels against his captain. Mutiny is a capital offense and Teach knows it could cost him his life, but he believes it worth the risk in order to save his crew from the attacking Spanish ships.
Sailing on the same blue waters, Anne barely avoids the Spanish attack, making it safely to Nassau. But lawless criminals, corrupt politics, and dangerous intentions fill the crowded streets of this Caribbean port. Soon, Anne discovers that the man entrusted to keep the peace is quite possibly the most treacherous of them all—and he just happens to hold Teach’s fate in his terrifying hands.
Life and death hang in the balance when Teach and Anne are given a dangerous mission. It’s a mission that will test their love, loyalty and devotion, forcing them down a path neither one could have ever imagined.
Jeff Zentner revealed the fabulous cover for GOODBYE DAYS, set to release on March 7, 2017.
Carver Briggs never thought a simple text would cause a fatal crash, killing his three best friends, Mars, Eli, and Blake. But now Carver can’t stop blaming himself for the accident and even worse, a powerful judge is pressuring the district attorney to open up a criminal investigation.
Luckily, Carver has some unexpected allies: Eli’s girlfriend, the only person to stand by him at school; Dr. Mendez, his new therapist; and Blake’s grandmother, who asks Carver to spend a “goodbye day” together to share their memories and say a proper farewell.
Soon the other families are asking for their own goodbye day with Carver—but he’s unsure of their motives. Will they all be able to make peace with their losses, or will these Goodbye Days bring Carver one step closer to a complete breakdown or—even worse—prison?
FENWAY AND HATTIE AND THE EVIL BUNNY GANG
VICTORIA J. COE, author of the MG novel FENWAY AND HATTIE, revealed the cover of her second book, FENWAY AND HATTIE AND THE EVIL BUNNY GANG (Putnam, 1/24/17) on Mr. Schu’s blog. In addition to finishing Mr. Schu’s sentences, Victoria also announced that a third FENWAY AND HATTIE book is coming in 2018.
When evil bunnies invade the Dog Park, Fenway’s hot on their trail. Hattie seems understandably alarmed, though she clearly doesn’t appreciate his efforts. She shoos him out of the garden and fills in holes as fast as he can dig them!
Fenway wonders if his beloved Hattie could be working against him, until she brings home a cage with a bunny inside. He can hardly control his excitement – she captured one of the intruders! But when Fenway realizes Hattie actually likes the bunny, he’s crushed. Is his heart big enough to accept that Hattie can love another pet, too?
In this sequel to Fenway and Hattie, these two best buddies learn that making the right choice can be tough, but being a real friend is the greatest choice of all.
SA Larsen is a childhood apraxia of speech advocate, former dancer, and Maine-iac ice hockey fan, who has watched more games than she could ever count. Her favorite stories unlock secret passageways and hidden worlds to inspire and challenge the heart. She lives in the land of lobsters and snowy winters with her husband and four children (yes, they all play hockey), where she’s writing the next adventure in her middle grade series.
SA’s debut novel, MOTLEY EDUCATION (Leap Books/Seek, October 10, 2016), is a middle grade fantasy adventure. A class assignment sends misfit medium Ebony Charmed and her legless lizard totting best friend on a ghostly journey for their lives battling creatures from Norse mythology to find a relic that is vital to saving both the spirit world and themselves. But when things go terribly wrong, Ebony must dig deep to find the true meaning of her quest, which has been inside her all along.
- Favorite book growing up: WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE by Maurice Sendak
- Childhood aspiration: To create, whether through painting, baking, or writing her own little off-Broadway musicals.
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Early morning or late evening, and usually in her office that’s climbing in books and The Nightmare Before Christmas decor.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: YOU WERE HERE by Cori McCarthy
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Watch a movie or pro sports event as a family, or hang out with her kids during family game night.
- Favorite sports teams: Boston Bruins, New England Patriots
- Surprising personal fact: Up until recently, she was part of the Monday Night Hotties – a group of ladies ranging in age from 22 to 60+, who dance and perform onstage.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Being around some of the most talented and creative people she’s ever met and connecting with amazing readers!
Where to find her: