Emily Henry is a full-time writer, proofreader, and donut connoisseur. She studied creative writing at Hope College and the New York Center for Art & Media Studies, and now spends most of her time in Cincinnati, Ohio, and the part of Kentucky just beneath it.
Emily’s debut, THE LOVE THAT SPLIT THE WORLD (Penguin/Razorbill, January 2016) is a Young Adult speculative novel pitched as the heady romance and nostalgia of “Friday Night Lights” meets the world-bending mystery of “The Time Traveler’s Wife.” Guided by the enigmatic apparition she calls Grandmother, an adopted teenager must find her place in the world by navigating a cosmic phenomenon that allows her to see different versions and eras of her small Kentucky town; the stakes are raised when she falls in love with a beautiful but elusive boy.
- Favorite book growing up: Probably either Lois Lowry’s THE GIVER or K.A. Applegate’s THE ELLIMIST CHRONICLES, and later, HARRY POTTER because she’s not a monster.
- Childhood aspiration: A writer OR play in the WNBA. (Important to note that she had not at that time and literally still has not ever played a game of basketball.)
- Favorite time of day/place to write: Facing a window in the morning.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: Laura Ruby’s BONE GAP, Katherine Howe’s CONVERSION.
- Favorite things to do (other than reading): Assembling an army of brilliant, gutsy, and glitter-covered she-warriors with whom to dismantle the patriarchy and make the world gentler. She also likes dancing.
- Favorite sports teams: The Dillon Panthers and any team of five year olds who sit down on the field and take their shoes off mid-game.
- Surprising personal fact: She once won nine cakewalks in a row at a school carnival.
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: Accomplishing her number one goal of staying sixteen forever.
Where to find her:
4 thoughts on “Meet the Author: Emily Henry”
Oh, how I love this post. Any author who uses FNL as a comp title and claims Dillon Panthers as their favorite team is for sure the writer of a book I want to read.
Pingback: Top Sixteen: Literary Pets | The Sweet Sixteens
Pingback: The Love That Split the World by Emily HenryGood Reads With Ronna
Pingback: Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten 2016 Debut Novels I Am Looking Forward To | piplup's shadow