Kristy Acevedo is a high school English teacher and huge Star Trek, Doctor Who, and Harry Potter fan. As a child, her “big sister” from the Big Brothers Big Sisters Program fostered her love of books by bringing her to the library every Wednesday. Her debut novel, Consider, won the 2015 PEN New England Susan P. Bloom CBD Award. A member of SCBWI, she lives in Massachusetts with her husband, two daughters, and two cats.
Kristy’s debut, CONSIDER (Jolly Fish Press, April 2016), is a Young Adult sci fi novel. As if Alexandra Lucas’ anxiety disorder isn’t enough, mysterious holograms suddenly appear, heralding the end of the world. They bring an ultimatum: step through a portal-like vertex to safety, or stay and be destroyed by a comet they claim is on a collision course with earth. How’s that for senior year stress? Alex must consider what is best for her friends, her family, and herself. To stay or to go. A decision must be made. (Book Two will follow in Fall 2016.)
- Favorite book growing up: THE BABYSITTER’S CLUB: KRISTY’S GREAT IDEA (come on, her name was on the cover!) and THE PHANTOM TOLLBOOTH
- Childhood aspiration: Librarian and Biochemist
- Favorite time of day/place to write: During the summers between 9-11 am. During the school year, 8-10 pm. She loves writing at the beach or in a local cafe, but she usually just writes in her bed with a bunch of comfy pillows and blankets around her.
- Book currently reading/most recently read: WE WERE LIARS by E. Lockhart
Favorite things to do (other than reading): Writing, acting silly with her kids and husband, binge-watching Netflix, walking to the beach, playing with her cats, Milo and Khaleesi.
- Favorite sports teams: Celtics
- Surprising personal fact: She can do crazy moves with a baton. She can also recite the “Prologue” to THE CANTERBURY TALES in Middle English
- Greatest thing about being a 2016 debut author: She has TWO books coming out in 2016! Spring and Fall! Craziness!
Where to find her: